Monday, February 4, 2013

Welcome Home Little One

My second grandchild came home on Friday. She spent 39 days in the NICU - 39 long days because there was a RSV restriction because of flu season and no one could see her but her parents- which is understandable but still made for a very long wait. Brooklyn is tiny- not yet 5 lbs when she came home but close, she was 2 lb 12 oz when she was born so almost 5 lbs is a wonderful jump. But still little. She is sweet. So very sweet and I don't think I really understood how sweet a grandchild is until I became a grandmother. You hear grandparents say that all the time but how can they be sweeter then your own? They can. And my daughter fought for Brooklyn- back at the hospital at 28 weeks she spent 5 weeks at the hospital- the whole time reliving the birth of David a year ago. But Jenna made it to 32 weeks this time- not 27 and Brooklyn was stronger. It was a nightmare for all of us, my daughter, son in law,  my husband and the rest of the family. December was spent in prayer, begging on my part that this time would be different - that she please not lose this baby like she lost her son. We celebrated the day of David's birth- December 12th with Jenna still in the hospital - missing him, hurting because I would have loved to see him as a one year old running around or crawling, I would have loved to have fed him cake. A year later it is still hard to understand but we made it a year. We can push on, still Jenna was in the hospital battling with preeclampsia again and on bed rest this time trying to get to 34 weeks so Brooklyn could be born with a fighting chance.  Then came Christmas Eve. She had been doing well so Earl and I were just lounging, Justin was gone to celebrate with his girlfriend and it was past six and we wanted ice cream. No place was open except the local drug store so Earl went to try and find us ice cream. The phone rang and it was Jenna "they want to deliver Brooklyn tonight." There was a loud ringing in my ears, fear was taking over, I was reliving it all again- I kept repeating What? What? and Jenna started crying. That snapped me back to reality- "We will be there it's going to be ok." Ben was already on his way so when Earl came up the stairs with the ice cream he took one look at my face and asked what is wrong. I lost it - for the last time that night, I was determined I would not cry in front of my daughter.  I can stand and be still and be strong in front of everyone but my husband. We called my brother and he came to stay with Mom and we left for the hospital. Thankfully we made it in time- there were three other babies born that night before they took Jenna back and at 10:39 pm my little namesake was born. Brooklyn Diane- she was 2 lb 12 oz and 14 1/2 inches long. I was so honored - it made me feel amazing that they loved me enough to give my name to my granddaughter. Jenna is my sweet daughter and I was also very thankful she was now out of danger too. We didn't get to see Brooklyn for over another hour so on Christmas Day 2012 I got to meet my granddaughter. Best. Christmas. Ever.

We came home, slept a few hours and went right back up to the hospital. Earl and I were very excited because they told us as grandparents we could come to the NICU and see Brooklyn whenever we wanted. The very next day they told us that RSV restriction would start on Friday. We only had one more day to see her.  "So much for grandparents rights!" Earl said. Dang.

So it was 39 days before I would get to hold her. I lived vicariously through pictures all of January and bombarded Jenna with a million questions every time she went to the hospital. " kiss her for me" I would say, " tell her MawMaw loves her,"

On Friday I got to tell her myself as I kissed her head, her fingers and toes. I held her and I cried of course. Because she is so sweet.

And I'm so thankful. God heard our prayer and the prayers of our many friends and family. I can never be thankful enough for everyone who prayed with us, who gave us comfort and I cannot get enough of Brooklyn. Last night I babysat for the first time. For 6 hours. She spent 5 hours 45 minutes in my arms, I let Earl have her for 15 minutes while I hovered over him.

I will forever miss my grandson David. Our hearts and arms will forever long for him. I believe he is there in heaven being loved by so many. Each  time I drop  kiss on Brooklyn's head I will remember him. Brooklyn is our little rainbow God sent to us after the storm.

And she is so sweet.

I finally know what all the other grandmothers have been trying to tell me.

There is nothing better than having a grandchild.


Isn't she sweet? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment