Sunday, January 29, 2012

Yes I do

I wonder when I am going to quit crying.

I saw an old friend today. I hadn’t seen her in a few years. She said I heard James was married.

I said Jenna is married too. Then I braced myself for the next question.

“Any grandbabies yet?”

My heart went to my throat and tears were in my eyes instantly. I saw her confusion but I nodded anyway.

“Yes one. He was born too early and now he’s in heaven.” But he is my grandbaby. It would probably just be easier to say no and change the subject. But he means something to me. David means so much to me. Even though I didn’t get to spoil him, or really hold him and reign kisses down on his face. I won’t ever deny him. He was our first. His life meant something to me, and I want people to know he was here, if only for a little while.

He taught me how much they mean. Children. Grandchildren. How very precious they are.

Jenna and I were talking the other day how we wished we had more pictures. The next time we will take a million and one on their very first day.



And we pray we never see the inside of a NICU again.

I just hope the next time someone asks me, “Do you have grandchildren.” I can say yes without crying. I am hoping to add seven or eight more christmas ornaments to my tree, but in that count will always be David, first and foremost, our #1 grandson, and I will love them all as much as I love that little boy.




No comments:

Post a Comment