Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Remembering

Today's topic, "Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood."

1. My brother was a boy, typical, destructive. He liked to take things apart, and most of those things were my toys. I had this doll, my Grandmother had found in her shop- a thrift store. It was old, with a hard body, and glass eyes that rolled. It was my favorite. I carried her around with me all the time, so I'm not even sure how he got a hold of it, but he pushed her eyes in until they were crossed, and nothing we could do would fix it. I remember crying for a very long time. I'm sure he said he was sorry, I'm sure he tried to fix it. I just don't remember that, I remember crying over my doll.

2.  We were about 8, we came home from school and two bicycles were sitting in the front yard. They looked big, they were shiny. Mom said Dad had dropped them off during his break from work. They were for me and Keith. My brother hopped on and off he went. I hopped on and sat. My neighbors and my brother kept saying "Come on Diane. We will teach you to ride." So they tried, and I fell off. I tried again and scraped my knees and my elbows. I walked the bike home and parked it. I went to my room and refused to come out. My knees and elbows hurt. I was playing with my barbies when my Dad got home. I remember him kneeling down beside me, "Do you like your bike Diane?" "Nope." I declared. He picked up a barbie doll and walked it across the floor all the while talking to me about how I could learn to ride, it wouldn't be hard, that he was right there, wouldn't let me fall. It took him a while, but finally I remember I sighed. "Want to try again baby girl?" I looked at my Dad, who I trusted, and was a lot bigger than my friends and my brother. "You won't let me fall?" He smiled, he had me worn down. "I promise." He said. So I nodded and my Dad taught me to ride my bike. He never let me fall, ever.

3. You know how in elementary school there is that one girl who you just want to be friends with more than anything? The popular girl, she's either pretty, or smart or wore the nicest clothes? Well in my school it was Heidi. She had big blue eyes, and the straightest hair that was shiny. My hair was so thick it was always a mess. Even when Mom put my hair in braids, by the end of the day it had crawled out of the braids and swirled around my face. I was unkempt. :) I envied Heidi her hair, and her pretty non wrinkled clothes. I had nice clothes, just wrinkled because I was never still, or dirty because I was sliding across the gravel on the play ground playing ball with the boys.  Heidi had two very close friends, and at recess they walked around the playground, but never played. Every once in a while they allowed me on the fringe of their group, so I considered her my friend. They all three had pierced ears. I wanted pierced ears. Mom and Dad had told me that by the end of sixth grade if I had straight A's they would allow it. So I begged them to let me get it done the weekend before the end of school so I could show my friends. And they did. I went to school on Monday with my hair pulled up. I remember the crisp air that morning as I stood beside Heidi's group on the playground and twisted my head back and forth, bringing my hand up to my ears constantly. I remember smiling because I was so thrilled to have earrings. I kept waiting for them to notice, to say something like oh how pretty, are those your birthstones? Finally one of the girls looked at me and said "What is wrong with you Diane?" Heidi snorted. "She wants you to notice her earrings. We know, you got your ears pierced! Whoopie!" and they laughed and went inside, leaving me standing there, feeling stupid.  I realized then that she wasn't my friend. I wanted to cry. But my neighbor Cindy, who was a year behind me in school found me that morning as I stood there, and put her arm around me. "I like your new earrings. Let's go climb the monkey bars." That was a true friend, compliment and distract.  I never talked to Heidi again. Of course we moved away that summer, I'm sure she really missed me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment